This page may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
At the beginning of last year, I felt this crazy pull towards crystals. I really had no idea why because I had no experience using them nor did I really know anyone that used them. But something was pulling me towards them, so I decided to start researching.
I was incredibly skeptical about crystals, despite being pretty in deep with the health world. It honestly just didn’t make sense to me. How could a rock help with anything?! And then I started reading and researching… a lot. Which is what I usually do when I want to learn about something new!
Why Crystals Work
I know that crystals seem so “new age” and many people are put off by that. I guess that is what my problem was at first too! But once I realized that crystals are basically little energy transmitters and literally *everything* is energy, it started to make more sense to me. You really do need an open mind, and I suppose it’s like everything else in life- some people are drawn to certain things, while others aren’t. There is some science behind a few of the main crystals out there too: see below about shungite, and then think about the most common crystal- quartz! What do we know about crystal quartz? It’s used in watches and clocks, and even many other forms of technology.
Each stone has its own energy emission, and this is why we use different crystals for different reasons. Most crystals correlate with a specific chakra too so some do have similar healing properties. Intuition is huge when choosing crystals though! It’s really best to pick on that resonates with you or speaks to you, and not just pick one based on your symptoms or needs. The only ones that could be used like this are the ones for EMF protection since there really are just a few main ones for that.
Some of my Favorite Crystals
The first “crystal” I technically got was this pendant that is supposed to help with blocking EMF. I was starting to really have some issues with EMF and I needed something to help since I work on the computer so much. This pendant is a mix of black tourmaline and shungite. I felt a little bit more drawn to shungite so I started reading more about it. I was blown away at everything I learned just about this ONE crystal!
- It’s about 2 billion years old!
- It can absorb negative energies, and purify your body of negative energy
- Shungite is the only natural material to have powerful antioxidants called fullernes. Shungite has been researched because of this component and it earned scientists a Nobel Prize! That’s huge!
- This stone can only be found in one place in Russia, so it’s very rare
- It’s a very helpful stone for grounding, relieving stress, helping insomnia, and healing the root/base chakra
- It is one of the best stones for protecting the body from EMFs- and SO much more affordable than most of those trendy items that claim to do the same
I used the pendant for about a week or 2 and actually started feeling so much better when using my electronics. I’m not one for placebo effect either, so this was interesting to me. Then my husband asked for one and that was my huge proof. He REALLY never reacts or finds much of a difference with things significantly, but he started to realize how much calmer he felt when he wore the pendant. One day he wasn’t wearing it and was really grumpy- then he realized he didn’t have it on!
So after this experience, I started to look into more crystals! I got quite a few- because, well… treat yourself, right?! I didn’t know what I should go for, so while I was researching more I found this quiz and decided to take it: The Crystal Test from Energy Muse. You pick a few stones that call to you, and then it pulls up info on each of them and tells you what they are. Amethyst and Rose Quartz were 2 that stuck out to me (and I can’t remember the 3rd!).
I remember that even as a little girl I LOVED stones and crystals. I had a best friend at one point that was the same way, and we used to read about them a lot (for a time anyway!) and once we were able to actually go to a store and pick some out. Amethyst has always been one that I’ve loved, and now I know why.
- Helps with inner strength
- Can enhance intuition
- Can help with calming an anxious mind
- Very grounding
- Clears the body of negative energy while attracting postitive energy,
- Helps to break free of old and stuck patterns
- Can help with sleep
- Encourages creativity
- Can stimulate the crown chakra
I’ve always loved the color pink, so that could have been part of what drew me to rose quartz. Last year, I had a different practitioner tell me that my heart chakra needed healing and that rose quartz would help. At the time I had NO idea how a rock could help me heal (just being honest here!). But it’s definitely been the other most helpful crystal for me personally, along with the amethyst- they tend to be put together a lot in jewlery and they work pretty well together.
Rose Quart Properties:
- Known as the love stone!!
- Increases sense of self-worth
- Great for healing romantic relationships or attracting new ones
- Opens the heart for compassion for others
- Lowers stress levels
- Great for empaths as it helps to increase empathy for others while also creating better boundaries for oneself
- Can help with those dealing with grief
Sunstone is a GORGEOUS stone that really resonated with me recently. When I first saw sunstone, I could really sense the warmth coming from this stone! It is said to carry the light and happy energies of the Sun within. Sunstone helps to give you strength and mental clarity, as well as openness and benevolence to others.
What Sunstone can help you with:
- Abundance! Sunstone is a popular stone to help attract abundance in all things, and it can also be a good luck stone
- It can increase vitality and energy levels
- Sunstone can aid you in your business when it comes to improving confidence, leadership skills, creativity, and more.
- If you find that you are often co-dependent, sunstone can help to soothe your stress and fears and help to become more independent.
- It can help those that are scared of the dark or even enclosed places
- Sunstone can help to increase your metabolism, digestion, and overall vitality!
- Sunstone helps the Root, Sacral and Solar Plexus Chakras the most, although it can help with clearing all chakras
- If you are looking to increase your feelings of self-worth and to remove negative blocks like limiting self beliefs or subconscious energy blocks when it comes to success, then sunstone is your best crystal to choose!
Angelite has been a personal favorite stone of mine for most of this year. I tend to pick crystals by instinct, and this one really stood out to me when I first saw it. The soft blue color is just gorgeous, and its energy is very calming.
Angelite got its name because it is a very helpful stone for connecting with your own personal angel guides. It is one of the most popular stones right now since many people are learning more about this connection to angels and the Universe.
Benefits of Angelite:
- Helps the Throat Chakra by aiding in communicating with others, speaking your truth, and can help you become more assertive
- Helps the Third Eye and Crown Chakras as well
- Since it is a very calming and peaceful stone, it helps the wearer to receive downloads from their angels in a calmer way. Angelite can help with deeper meditation and to enhance your own innate intuition
- Can help to protect your body against negative energies, stress, and anger
- Can help with support for your thymus, throat, and thyroid
- Angelite is a stone of tranquility and peace, so it can help you to stay calm and present during times of stress
- Angelite can help more with the 3 top Chakras (throat, third eye, and crown) when worn as a necklace. As a bracelet or loose stone, it can help more with calming your energy, connecting to your angels, and protecting you against negative energy.
Where to Get Crystals and How to Use Them
The BEST place to get crystals would be at a local store that is reputable. It can be hard to find REAL crystals locally though, which is why I decided to start my own crystal shop! Every piece in my shop is hand-picked by myself and researched to make sure that you get the MOST out of your crystal jewelry.
You can use crystals in many ways:
- Wear them as jewelry
- Carry a stone around in your pocket
- Some can be placed under your pillow at night
- Keep some near electronics (like shungite, black tourmaline, etc) to help with EMFs. I have 3 shungite pyramids that I keep near our computers and the Wifi router.
- Or just keep them as decorations around your home
- Use them to enhance meditation or prayer
Some say that the proper way to use crystals is to set your intention with them. I didn’t do this with them myself and they still seem to work well for me (although now when I get new ones I do set my intention!). But you can do this by first cleansing them (you can sage them, put them in sunlight or moonlight for at least 4 hours, or you can keep it on top of a clear quartz or selenite crystal as these are self cleansing- it’s ideal to cleanse your crystals at least once a month too to help release the energy they’ve absorbed. Most love doing this at the full moon). Once you’ve cleansed them, hold your crystal and think about what you really want- less stress? More money? A better relationship with someone? Check out more ideas on this here.